Prudential plc is an international financial services group with operations in Asia, the US and the UK, Continental Europe and Africa. As an insurance provider, asset owner and manager, we take a long-term and holistic approach to managing the environmental risks and opportunities facing our business. The Group Code of Business Conduct underpins all our activities, including minimising the impacts of our business on the environment.
Overall responsibility for approving and reviewing our Environmental policy lies with the Prudential plc Board. It recognises that as an international financial services business our environmental impacts cover not only our day-to-day operations and the properties we occupy but also the indirect impacts of our investment activities. We have a key role to play through the services and products we provide to our customers to support the transition to an environmentally sustainable and low carbon economy. The objective of this policy, therefore, is to manage our impacts and promote sustainable practices as part of our Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) agenda, as well as incorporating environmental considerations into decision-making at appropriate levels across the Group.
This policy applies to the operational property of all Prudential Group companies. It takes into account the differing environmental legislation and standards under which our companies operate globally.
Our environmental commitments
We commit to:
- Comply with local environmental compliance obligations as they relate to our operations;
- Implement risk management systems that assess the environmental impact of our operations and seek to prevent pollution and ensure continual improvement;
- Set targets to improve our performance globally and encourage the implementation of energy, water efficiency and waste measures into the premises we occupy and promote waste minimisation, re-use, recovery and recycling;
- Seek to use renewable sources of energy where commercially feasible;
- Seek to source IT and office equipment to reduce energy consumption and consumption of resources;
- Measure our material travel impacts and seek to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions associated with these impacts;
- Encourage our suppliers and business partners, to adopt good environmental practices and where appropriate, collaborate with them on solutions to mitigate our own impacts;
- Raise staff awareness of their role in adopting environmentally responsible behaviour;
- Take into consideration environmental matters, including energy efficiency and the use of natural resources, in the planning, property and lease acquisition, development, refurbishment and decommissioning of our buildings; and
- Support initiatives in our sector and collaborate with others to deliver a more sustainable future.
Measuring and reporting on our environmental performance
We will monitor and review our environmental performance against our environmental commitments set out in this policy and the Group reporting requirements detailed in the Group Governance Manual. On an annual basis we will report our environmental performance and review this Policy to ensure that is remains relevant and appropriate.
Group Chief Executive